Security, Privacy And Societal Implications Of Using Augmented Reality And Virtual Reality In Education
The use of augmented reality (AR) and virtual reality (VR) in education provides better student engagement and a fascinating learn by doing instructions It also helps educational institutions in students recruitment and retention. However, using VR/AR may not be always advantageous. For instance, VR and AR technologies can collect far more personal information than traditional systems. Also, VR and AR technologies can collect biometric data used in authentication systems by scanning retinal and Irises of individuals. Design and conduct a study to investigate the following:
- Investigate and summarize the VR and AR technologies hardware and software components especially the ones used in education.
- How AR and VR technologies are used by students and educators in Education? e.g., Virtual Classroom, virtual assignments, field trips, etc. Identify all possible scenarios and discuss their impact on learning outcomes.
- Identify the security, privacy and societal issues of VR and AR in Education including how these technologies can be misused and/or abused. How these affect learning outcomes and student assessment and other aspects? Solution to resolve these issues.
- What others have done to address this issue? For example, any previous efforts to study the use of VR and AR in education? Any previous efforts to resolve the privacy, security and society issues in using VR an AR in education? (last 3 years)
- Design and conduct a survey on students and educators to measure the following (1) students and educators’ familiarity with the use of AR/VR in education? (2) students’ and educators’ awareness of the security, privacy and societal implications. (3) students and educators knowledge on how to resolve these issues.