Punishments for Arson
Arson continues to plague the nation and is on the rise due to the current economic situation that the United States faces. With that said, it seems that in the judicial systems across America, arsonists continue to receive lighter punishments for their crimes compared to robberies, assaults, and other offenses. In some countries, arson is an offense punishable by death.
Write a 4–5-page persuasive paper (excluding cover and reference pages) that responds to the following:
- Describe the elements of arson and two other types of fires and compare and contrast each. Explain how you would develop investigative processes for each type of fire. Discuss how the investigative processes can eliminate accidental causes and support an intentionally set fire.
- Apply critical thinking to construct a persuasive argument on whether judicial systems are or are not doing enough to punish those who commit arson.
- Are the punishments for arson too harsh or not harsh enough on people who are convicted of arson?
- Should arson be an automatic death penalty offense?
- Use supporting data to reaffirm your stance on this issue. Be sure to cite at least two outside resources.