For this assignment, you will post a speech about a single topic that you will select (provided below) to the specific audience that you will select (also provided below). The speech should be 4-5 minutes long. You will select your topic and audience from the list provided below. Please be sure to indicate which topic and audience you selected in the textbox where you will upload your speaking video. Please do not verbally indicate your selections as the introduction to your speech, as you still need to use an appropriate attention-getting device, and treat this as a formal presentation (as if you were in the setting that you select). You don’t need to do a lot of research or a formal outline; however, since we are covering Chapter 7: Supporting Your Ideas, you do need to include at least one source that is appropriate for your audience and your topic. You will need to cite your source(s) verbally within the body of your speech (please see the assignment rubric for further clarification on how this will affect your grade). You do need very strong extemporaneous delivery, with attention to both the verbal and nonverbal messages you send.
It is worth noting that you may only use this topic for this speech. If you have looked ahead and see a topic that you are interested in for SA4, SA5 & SA6 please do not use that topic for this speech.
Please select from the following topics (select one topic):
- Persuasive Options:
- Seniors are too old to adopt children.
- Businesses should not be open on Sundays.
- Old buildings should be preserved and deemed as historical.
- Children need to believe in magic.
- Informative Options
- What to do to help moms with twins.
- How adult colouring books are good for mental and emotional health.
- How to adopt a cat or dog.
- Why smiles are contagious.
Please select your audience (select one audience):
- A weekly sorority meeting consisting of a diverse group of 35 college women.
- A weekly fraternity meeting consisting of a diverse group of 35 college men.
- A group of 25 seniors at the local nursing home.
- A local parents group who meet at the local library once a month to discuss new ways to interact with their young children.
- An international group of 20 men who are visiting the United States for the next six months.
- A local women’s group (consisting of 40 middle age women) who meet once a month to advocate for causes to better their community.
- A group of 30 nurses who are meeting to consider new ideas to incorporate into their daily work routines and/or to present to their department supervisor.
- Submit your video by clicking the button in this assignment discussion board or by embedding a YouTube video. Videos that have been edited or that employ avatars will earn a grade of zero. If you are using YouTube, please make sure your video is not set to private. We cannot see videos that are set to private to grade them; therefore, any videos that are set to private will be given a zero grade.
- Briefly describe the topic, the audience, and your purpose for your speech in the written area of the discussion board.