MACROECONOMICS TERM PAPER
It must be typed, and may be single or double-spaced (although I greatly prefer double-spaced.) It is to be approximately 750 words or more. Canvas will prompt you to submit it thru TurnItIn.
What I am looking for is economic reasoning, and a demonstration that you are applying macroeconomic principles in a way that demonstrates understanding. But I will remember that this is an introductory course. This is not a graduate paper, but I definitely expect it to be at a collegiate level. Needless to say, plagiarism will not be tolerated. Spelling, grammar and punctuation do count. Late papers will result in a 10-point grade reduction.
Following are suggested topics. If you see one that’s “close” to what you really want to write about, drop me a short note proposing a variation. I will approve almost all of them.
- Read Chapters 15 and 16 before you start this paper. Knowing what you will then know, that the United States’ currency is not backed in any way by gold, go online and study at least two of the websites that advertise buying gold or having gold-backed IRAs (examples: Roslyn Capital or Lear Capital) and analyze whether their premises make any sense at all. (Maybe they do. Maybe they don’t.)
- Should the Federal Reserve continue to maintain its status as a completely independent agency? Explain why or why not.
- Why is there “capital flight” from the U.S. to pretty much everywhere else? If you were in charge, what would you do to correct it?
- With all the “free” government money being handed out, what would you do if you were in charge to get America producing again? Or would you?
- About 76% of America’s GDP is now “services”. Can we sustain the economy with that? Why or why not?
- How would you change the U.S. money and banking system to make the American dollar strong?
- If you were the boss, how would you reduce the U.S. national debt?