After you read and made yourself familiar with the following topics, please answer /discuss the following 15 questions. Your answers should have detailed explanations. Topics: Two body orbit, optical wavelength, light intrinsic and extrinsic attenuation, total internal reflection, Snell’s law, cladding, dispersion, dispersion (Material, Waveguide, Chromatic).
Questions:1) What are the four basic components of a fiber-optic “Link”?
2) What is “Total Internal Reflection”?
3) What is the speed of light?
4) What is the relationship between wavelength and frequency of light?
5) Light is a form of electric energy. Is this a correct statement?
6) Describe Snell’s law.
7) Calculate the critical angle if n1= 1.58 n2= 1.49.
8) What is “Light Attenuation”?
9) Under what conditions does “total internal reflection” occur?
10) What is the cause of the attenuation in fiber optics?
11) For a light signal that starts at 7.2 milliwatts and arrives at 3.4 milliwatts, calculate the power loss in decibels.
12) What is the velocity of the light through the medium with a refractive index of 1.41?
13) What is “Dispersion”.
14) What is the wavelength of light with frequency of 500 GHz?
15) What are a) Material Dispersion, b) Waveguide Dispersion and c) Chromatic Dispersion?