41. The contract between Boot Magic and its union is due to expire in 30 days. If the union and Boot Magic cannot successfully negotiate a contract, who must be notified?
- the NLRB
- the FMCS
- the AFL-CIO
- the U.S. Secretary of Labor
42. The ____ enforces the Wagner, Taft-Hartley and Landrum Griffin Acts.
- the U.S. Justice Department
- U.S. Department of Labor
- Federal Labor-Management Conciliation Authority
- National Labor Relations Board
43. The _________ Act is considered pro-management.
- Railway Labor
44. The purpose of right-to-work laws is to
- Make it illegal to force people to join a union to get or keep a job.
- Promote full-employment in unionized industries.
- Require that all union members have legal visas.
- Prohibit unions from organizing in a particular state.
45. The CEO of Germaine Plumbing Products plans to open a new production plant. She wants to locate it in a state that has right-to-work laws restricting unions. The CEO should locate the plant in
- New York.
46. The top management of Quaternary Manufacturing is concerned about the high labor costs of its unionized workforce. Management has formed a committee to investigate the benefits of moving its plant to an “employer friendly” region. All of the following geographic regions would be considered by the committee EXCEPT the
- Rocky Mountain states.
- Great Lakes states.
- Texas-Oklahoma area.
47. Abner has applied for work with a local construction company. He has been told he must join the union before the company can hire him. This employer has a ____ shop.
48. A union shop requires
- That job applicants have a “union card” to be considered for employment.
- Employees who refuse to join the union to pay amounts equal to union dues and fees for the union’s representative services.
- That an employee join the union, usually 30 to 60 days after being hired.
- Non-union employees to be excluded from the protection of the union contract.
49. A/an ____ shop requires employees who refuse to join a union to pay amounts equal to union dues in return for the union’s representation services.
50. The purpose of the Landrum-Griffin Act is to
- Give workers the right to engage in union activities.
- Reduce the number of economy-damaging strikes by developing third-party arbitration and mediation tools.
- Prohibit unfair labor practices of both employers and union officials.
- Protect union members’ democratic rights.