3-short essay questions
10-multiple choice questions
1. The Orphan Master’s Son could be described as a ‘political thriller.’
2. Venus Sun is the legendary actress Pak Jun Do is in love with.
3. Jun Do becomes a professional assassin
4. Jun Do gets a tattoo of the Dear Leader on his chest.
5. Jun Do was the oldest boy at the orphanage.
6. Jun Do becomes a professional _______________________
7. Towards the beginning of the novel, Jun Do is assigned to the fishing vessel Junma. While searching for shrimp, the crew finds floating in the water dozens of _________________________
8. Which American state does Jun Do visit on a North Korean diplomatic delegation?
9. Whose identity does Jun Do assume?
The Dear Leader
The Orphan Master
10. Who is Allison Jensen?
Sun Moon’s maid
The American rower
11. What does the Senator’s wife give Jun Do as a gift for his ‘supposed’ wife?
A song bird
A trip to Hawaii
An American flag
12. Part two of the novel opens with a first-person narrative of a character who performs “soft torture” on enemies of the North Korean state. Who is this character?
The Dear Leader
13. Comrade Buc eventually takes his own life. How does he do this?
By jumping off a building
By overdosing on sleeping pills
By ingesting cyanide
By eating tainted peaches
14. What movie do “Ga” and Sun Moon watch?
Dazed and Confused
15. In the final scene at the airport, after singing for the Americans, Sun Moon and her children are stowed in ______________ and are carried toward the American plane on a forklift.
An old car
A piano case
16. In one to two paragraphs, respond to the following:
In what ways is the avoidance of reality constructive in this novel? In what ways is it destructive? Give examples.
17. In one to two paragraphs, respond to the following:
Sun Moon has a strong response to the movie Casablanca. What is her reaction? Why do you think she was so moved by this film?
18. In one to two paragraphs, respond to the following:
What is the most painful thing for Jun Do to endure in this book?