1. What is the main objective of this chapter?
2. Define outpatient care. What are several key changes that have been instrumental in shifting the balance between inpatient and outpatient services?
3. The term “ambulatory care” is used interchangeably with “outpatient services.” Explain the difference.
4. What are some of the reasons solo practitioners are joining group practices?
5. Why is the hospital emergency department sometimes used for nonurgent conditions?
What are the consequences?
6. Why is it important for hospital administrators to regard outpatient care as a key
component of their overall business strategy?
7. What implications has the decline in hospital occupancy rates had for hospital
8. What are 5 main hospital-based outpatient services?
9. What are mobile health care services? Name the three mobile facilities for medical,
diagnostic, and screening services.
10. Briefly explain how a telephone triage system functions.
11. What is the basic philosophy of home health care? Describe the services provided
through home health care.
12. Explain the concept of hospice care and describe the types of services provided by
13. Describe the scope of public health ambulatory services in the U.S.
14. Describe the main public and voluntary outpatient clinics, and the main problems
15. What is alternative medicine? What role does it play in the delivery of health care?
16. Describe how some of the changes in the health services delivery system have led to
a decline in hospital inpatient days and a growth in ambulatory services.
17. What are the main characteristics of primary care?
18. Discuss the two main factors that determine what should be an adequate mix between generalists and specialists.
19. Discuss the gatekeeping role of primary care.
20. What is community-oriented primary care? Explain.